Friday, September 18, 2009

Perfect Vision

No, this post is not about the vision type where you see clearly. This type is where you see a fictional world rather than reality. This is mostly seen in adults, expecially ones with kids in Middle and High school. The most common symptom of this vision disease is simply: The idea that every kid other than your own is getting straight A's, wears appropriate clothes and have never uttered a swear word in their entire life. Now we all know this is not true, but for all the parents out there, I made three reasons your little "perfect school" is nothing more than a vision of what you wish your kids were like.
First: not every kid in school is getting straight A's. Most kids I know are stuggling and usually takes a long time to raise their grades. The failing kids usually are not open about their grades, so how would you know if they are failing or not (unless they have parents who like to boast or complain about their kids grades to their friends).
Second: Hate to break it to you parents, but wearing a semi-low cut shirt one day will not have you labeled as "The girl who dresses as a slut". Actually, 40% or more of the girls I have seen wear clothes worse than that. They wear high heels, short shorts (the kind that make you look like your not wearing pants at all), and very low-cut shirts. Below is what parents believe every kid is wear:

Note how they are all wearing long jeans, and appropriate tshirts. People do dress like this in school, but we all don't dress the same. Here is what I see in High School:



Most popular girls wear shorts, tanktops and basicly everything against the dress code. Why might you ask? Because nobody enforces the dress code. The administratives say we can't wear shorts, and anything skimpy but they never enforce it. There is one other group that I think pushes the limit too far and that is.....the goths. The rule book says that we can't wear those metal studs that are on chokers and jackets but they still do. We also can't have dyed hair of unnatural colors, but I see kids with green (yes green) and pale pink hair. It's really weird. In my parents mind, if you wear a low-cut shirt one day, you are instantly more slutty than the girls who wear slutty clothes every day. It's weird and doesn't make sense, but so does Perfect Vision.
After a parent sees your clothes and dismisses them as "slutty", then comes the long parade of exagerations. Yesterday, I worse a spagetti-strap shirt *see below for image* under a jacket that was zipped to the top, so nobody would see it. I unzipped my jacket as I went outside, because it was fricken hot! Instantly, my mom started to freak out. She called my dad and said (and I quote), "David, she is wearing a Victoria Secret tank top with her boobs completely hanging out...". I'm gunna stop right there to correct my mom. One: It wasn't even from Victoria Secret, it was from Pink! I know they are part of the same store, but Victoria Secret is made for the slutty clothes. Two: My boobs were soo not hanging out! I'm guessing that adults don't know what the phrase "Hanging Out" means. Hanging out (in boob terms) is when a boob is completly hanging out, from top to bottom. Hanging out is not when you can kinda see some cleavage, but not a lot.
Does that really look bad? Also, I was wearing a jacket over it, so literally nobody knew I was wearing it. I wasn't strutting around school wearing a polka dot spagetti strap. My mom then soo overreacted and took my computer away, didn't let me walk to Party City, and took my candy bag away (which just crosses the line!).
The last thing that all parents hate are the four deadly words: The f-bomb, the female dog, the bad place and the other words that my mom would flip out if I wrote. They constantly make threats against us by saying stuff like, "You better not swear any more or else", yet my sister swears a lot (though she never admits it), she is all "I DO NOT!". I hear her say the f-word, the b-word, and many other words, but she juts doesn't want to admit it. I also hear my parents swearing. I guess it is ok for an adult to swear, but it is bad when an young adult swears. Weird. You guys have no idea how many times I hear swear words around my school, so you know "just trying to fit in". I mean people swear a lot, and I mean A LOT.
Yet parents still use our classmates as ways to put us teenagers down by saying stuff like "All the neighbor kids are getting straight A's" and "Your gunna be remembered as the girl who dresses like a slut". They don't know what it is like in our high school, so why do they think they do?

1 comment:

  1. Anne, I feel your frustration. Did you tell your Mom that you always wore the jacket at school? I am always warning Kathryn about wearing clothes that look too promiscuous as well.... It must be a Mom thing.

    I really enjoy reading your stories. You have such a fun, honest, and easy-to-read style! Keep it up

    Joanie

    ReplyDelete